Overall, the Sony PlayStation Vita is the most advanced portable gaming system ever made. With console-level gaming in a handheld device, PS Vita delivers amazing visuals on its 5-inch OLED touch screen that look almost as good as PS3 graphics. Besides starting the fun right away with with playing games, the PS Vita also possesses huge multimedia potential. You can transfer over music or videos, stream things through Netflix or a media center PC, or get content off of the PSN (Playstation Network). Combined with the gorgeous screen, multimedia on the go will be awesome. In order to enrich the movie entertainment on PS Vita, here it mainly shows some useful tips for you to easily download movies included with Blu-ray, DVD, iTunes, Digital Copy, and 1080p/720 HD videos to PS Vita.
Somthing you gotta known about PS Vita Video Format
What music and video file types/codecs are compatible with the PS Vita? At this time, the following formats are supported on the PS Vita system:
MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), and WAVE (Linear PCM)
MPEG-4 Simple Profile Level 3, Maximum 320×240 pixels, AAC
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Baseline/Main/High Profile Level 3.1, Maximum 720p, AAC
NOTE: You may not be able to play some content depending on the type of data, file size, or copyright protection(e.g. DRM-restricted movies). Some content distributed over the Internet and by other means may also have playback restrictions-so called DRM restriction.
PlayStation Vita does not play the following video and audio contents:
* Movies, TV shows and music purchased from iTunes Store and the Digital Copies from Blu-ray or DVD Discs– you can use ChewTune, a top DRM removal software to get iTunes/Digital Copy DRM into PS Vita supported .mp4.
* HD video files from the PlayStation Store- currently not supported, but could get update later.
* Video and audio in unsupported formats (MKV, AVI, MOV, M2TS, VOB,etc) – you can use the Video Converter for PS Vita to transcode them into PS Vita friendly H.264 .mp4 video and .mp3 audio
* HD 1080p or 720p MP4 file of very big file size or very high bitrate – use the same Video Converter to shrink the movie into PS Vita optimized video. Refer to best video format for PS Vita.
* Protected DVD and Blu-ray movies – use the Blu-ray/DVD Ripper for PS Vita to rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD movies to PS Vita for smoothly playing.
Details – Rip DVDs for PlayStation Vita
Details – Sync/Transfer Movies to PS Vita(DVD, Blu-ray, Video)
The best video format for PS Vita:
I used to rip Blu-ray and DVD movies to PC and WD TV Live players and learned video codecs and settings well. After several conversions and tests I worked out the best settings for converting videos/movies to PS Vita, you can take it as reference:
Sampling rate- 44.1khz
I choose H.264 .mp4 as the best format for PS Vita conversion because it is the recommended video format for local playback on PS Vita by Sony official site. Although PS Vita supports video playback up to 720p, I choose 960*544 for converting movies to PS Vita – the Vita screen resolution is 960*544 which can easily get full screen playback. For watching videos on PS Vita, 1000kbps is just all right. I find that bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss.
The PS Vita does more than just play games, have you ever thought of turing the PS Vita to a portable media player for watching your favorite movies anytime anywhere especially during your trip?
- Reviews:Watch iTunes (DRM ) protected movies on Acer Iconia Tab A500
- iTunes to HP TouchPad-Get iTunes movies and videos ported over to Touch Pad for normally playback
- ChewTune Brings Blu-ray/DVD Digital Copy movies Downloads to Android Tablet
- Iconia Tab File Transfer Tips-Sync movies/videos/music files to Acer Iconia Tab A100
- 5 Tips to Get Your Movies Fit for Sony Tablet S Playback